Early entrance for kindergarten


A child must be 5 years of age as of August 31 of the year of entry to be entitled to enter kindergarten. Research on early entrance to school indicates that few children are ready to enter kindergarten earlier than age 5.

Stanwood-Camano School District staff must assess early entrance candidates’ readiness. Students will be assessed in at least five areas: 

  • Concepts

  • Motor

  • Social development

  • Language

  • Self-help

Readiness criteria as specified by the DIAL (Developmental Indicators for the Assessment of Learning) assessment tool will be used to make recommendations based on the child’s performance. 

The nonrefundable fee for this assessment is the responsibility of the parent or guardian. An exemption can be made for families who are eligible for federal free or reduced meal status.

  • Spring assessments for the 24-25 school year TBA

  • August assessments for the 24-25 school year TBA

Early entrance testing will be held at The Stanwood-Camano School District Administration and Resource Center, 26920 Pioneer Hwy, Stanwood, WA 98292.

How to apply?

Deliver these completed forms and payment to the Stanwood-Camano School District Administration & Resource Center, 26920 Pioneer Hwy., Stanwood:

The application for the spring assessment is due by May 31, 2024. For families moving into the district after June 7, 2024 applications must be submitted by August 14, 2024

Notification of enrollment status will be given within 10 working days following the early entrance assessment. If a child qualifies for early entrance, the teacher and principal will observe the child throughout a six-week trial period. Staff will report to the parent on the child’s adjustment and progress. If it is determined that early entrance for a particular child is not appropriate after all, the child may be withdrawn from the program after a conference with the parents. The principal will notify the parents of the final decision regarding their child’s eligibility to continue in the kindergarten program.

Questions? Please email [email protected]

How to obtain a birth certificate?

The Snohomish Health District’s Vital Records office can provide official copies of birth certificates for anyone born in Washington state from 1907 to the present.