Anaphylaxis or Asthma medication

If a parent wants his or her child to carry and self-administer asthma or anaphylaxis medication (such as an inhaler and/or Epipen) during school hours or during school-sponsored events, state law requires that the child’s health care provider complete and sign a Medication Authorization Form and formulate a written care and treatment plan.

A Medication Authorization Form is available at your school or can be downloaded from the School District’s Internet site. A Medication Authorization Form must be completed, dated, signed by the child’s health care practitioner as well as by the child’s parent or guardian, and submitted to the child’s school before the student can carry an inhaler while at school. State law also requires a training and demonstration session with the school nurse and the student who plans to carry the medication.