Jean Shumate, Ed.D.
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the 2013-14 school year!
I hope that you have had a chance this summer to enjoy special time with your children and help prepare them to start the school year successfully. District staff members have been working to ensure that we are ready to welcome your children back on September 3rd.
Our district is moving forward and working to create personal success for every student now and in the future. We continue to focus on our vision: One community dedicated to the success of each student. We are doing this through strong core instruction, professional development, effective leadership, clear communication and increased partnerships with parents and the community.
There is much work to be done to reach high levels of achievement for all students. Research tells us that successful organizations have a clear and focused direction that is well understood by all involved. This year we will be implementing the fourth year of our strategic plan. This plan is used to guide the direction of our district. The strategic plan is focused on three major targets with specific activities.
District Target 1Increase every student’s achievement through improvement of the instructional core (the relationship between teachers’ knowledge and skill, students’ engagement in their own learning, and academically challenging content – not the qualities of any one in isolation).
- District Improvement Plan and school improvement plan implementation.
- Develop a system to assess student learning for instructional decision-making and a communication system to meaningfully involve parents in understanding test results.
- Provide job-embedded professional development for all staff to improve the instructional core.
- Ensure coherence across
grades and classrooms through common core materials to support all content
District Target 2Model and maintain a collaborative culture and common vision in which mutual trust, respect, understanding, and effective communication exists between the students, staff, parents, and community.
- Ensure a mechanism is in place to monitor and assess target goals.
- Ensure systems are in place to effectively communicate district goals and programs as well as meaningfully engage parents and community members to increase the achievement of each student.
- Ensure a focus and cohesion of the development of the personal skills of an individual and citizens are addressed through Lifelong Guidelines and Lifeskills, Navigation 101, and Advisory programs.
District Target 3
- Ensure support systems are in place so teaching staff can focus on the instructional core.
- Create systems for a proactive approach to maintenance.
- Ensure the Facilities Advisory Committee provides continuous feedback regarding district facilities to the Board of Directors and community.
- Ensure a strong instructional core and fiscal stability are maintained through resource allocation models and multi-year projections.
- Continue to examine and refine the organizational chart to ensure resources are directed to support the instructional core.
We believe that every student accomplishes higher levels of achievement and success when we, as a system, have a common vision and work in a collaborative culture to continuously improve our leadership and instructional practice. A successful school system works in partnership with students, parents, staff and community members. I welcome your involvement as we work to provide a quality education for all Stanwood-Camano students.
Thank you, again, for your support of our schools.
Jean Shumate, Ed.D.
Superintendent, Stanwood-Camano School District #401